Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tortured voices:


Torture, as a form of human rights violation, is widely used by the members of the Bangladesh Army against the Jumma people. It invariably follows their arrests and continues till they are handed over to the police, who also in their turn use the same practice during remands. Torture includes beating, water-boarding, electric shocks, making one stand out in the sun for hours etc.

In this section we will continue to reproduce interviews with the tortured victims. Today, we begin with the interview of Jit Chakma, a member of the United Peoples’ Democratic Front (UPDF). Editor, chtnews.com.

“They pulled me up by my testicles trice”

Interview: 01: November 01, 2009:

Jit Chakma alias Ujjal Chakma alias Gyana Lal Chakma
Father’s name: Purno Sen Chakma, Mother’s name: Simottoni Chakma
Village: Sonei, Longudu, Rangmati


I am the fourth of the siblings. We are four brothers and four sisters. I went to school about one year and then dropped out.

I joined UPDF (United Peoples’ Democratic Front) in June or July in 2007. I was posted in Golachari area.

When I was there, performing my organisational responsibilities, I was arrested by army. It was most probably in January 2008. Another party member, Dipayan, who is from the village of Gukchari, was also arrested along with me.

On the day we were arrested, we were going to Longudu by boat from Golachari. At Rangapanichara a group of about 15 – 20 army personnel led by Warrant Officer Rafiq ordered us to get to the shore where they were on patrol. It was about 3pm.

When we reached there, the army arrested us. Then we were boarded onto their boat and taken to Maieni zone.

In the camp I was tortured and given electric shocks. Warrant Officer Rafiq personally took part in the beating.

The army asked me whether I had any firearms and whether I knew Jallya and Bishal (local UPDF leaders). They said ‘if you have any firearms give it to us’.

I was bound hand and foot as they beat me. And they gave electric shocks in my head and hit in my feet with the barrel of a gun.

They pulled me up by my testicles trice.

I was detained in the camp for five days, and torture had continued for four days at a stretch.

At one stage the army put a Light Gun in my hands and then photographed.

On the fifth day I was handed over to the police along with the LG. The police took me to Longudu at night. From there I was sent to Rangamati jail.

I was charged with extortion and possession of illegal arms. I spent 19 months in jail and was released on bail on 15 October. During this time, I was in Chittagong jail for a brief period of two and a half months.

I did not have opportunity to receive medical treatment while in jail.

Now I am suffering from many physical problems: I feel dizzy and am hard of hearing; I don’t feel the feet and the tongue, and sometimes I cannot to speak; I have got back pain; the left part of my testicle has become swollen and the left part thinner, and I have got pain there.

Currently, I am receiving therapeutic treatment from Shafiqul Islam in Chittagong. I am also receiving treatment for my testicle problems from Dr. Rafiqul Haq, for pains from Dr. Anup Chakma, for eye problem from Dr. Bibagatullah and for hearing problem from Dr. Mahmudur Rahman.

My case numbers with Longudu police station are 5 and 4, GR – 83/08 under sections 385/387/109 of Bangladesh Penal Code and 19(ka) (cha) of Arms Act.

According to the police records, the cases were filed on 18 March 2009.

[The interview was done on 26 October 2009 in Chittagong]