Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sajek torture victims speak out





chtnews.com
July 04, 2009
IN Sajek, one of the flashpoints of Rangamati district, the last two months saw an increase in arrests and torture of innocent Jumma villagers, who continue to live in fear of settler attacks similar to the one carried out on 20 April last year. Some of these torture victims came to Dhaka to tell their stories to the journalists. chtnews.com had the opportunity to do interviews with them which we are repeating in a series. Please read the second part of the series below. (Photos of the victims attached) The first part was sent yesterday. All the interviews were conducted on Wednesday, 1 July.


3. Interview of Amar Dhan Karbari, age 49, Hogeyatoli

I was on my way to Hillahilly office, an NGO in Marishya, to discuss how to draw UNDP project money. It was on 20 June. When I reached Balughat around 12 noon, the army arrested me. Balughat is half a kilometer north-east of Baghaihat bazaar.

I told the army the purpose of my visit, and showed them the relevant papers, but yet they would not let me go. They took me to the camp, blindfolded. They hit me on the joints of my hands and legs. As a result, my wrists and knuckles got so swollen up that I could not grasp anything. However, they spared me of electric shocks.

Later on, village elders and [Baghaihat] market committee members went to the camp to recommend for my release. They had to go because they had found that I was not among those released earlier.

The army also arrested Mr. Dipayan from village Hogeyatoli. He works for a UNDP project. He has been sent to jail.

The settlers built houses after destroying my fruit garden. When I protested, the army took side with them. They said I talked too much.

About 15 – 20 settler families have already occupied the Bain Ghor (Waiving House) in Simanachara. This house belongs to Bana Vihara [a Buddhist temple]. The settlers also opened a shop there and grabbed lands belonging to Lakshmichandra Chakma.

In Balughat, the settlers built 11 houses after grabbing lands belonging to Pattor Karbari. And in Gangaram, 20 – 25 settler families have grabbed lands belonging to Mintu Chakma, Buddhi Chakma and a Kuthir (monk’s abode).

All this land grabbing took place after the disappearance of the two settlers.

We tried to resist, but the army provided protection to the settlers round the clock and helped them build the houses. Now the army has set up a permanent post at Gangaram Dore for the protection of the settlers. They stay there night and day. In addition, the army also patrols the area at night.


4. Interview of Sukkho Chakma, age 29, Jarulchari

I was working on bamboo rafts in the river Kachalong. It was about 1pm [20 June]. The army came on the river bank and called me out. When I went up to them, one of the soldiers snatched my dao (a kind of machete) from my hand. Another solider caught me by my shirt and kicked me. I fell on the ground. He pressed my body hard with his foot and pointed his gun close to my cheek. Then he kicked me again, tied my hands and led me on to a boat. When I was on the boat they untied me.

One of the soldiers said ‘we chased a man and he ran away; did you see him?’ I said ‘no’. Then they kicked me.

The soldiers took me to their camp [Baghaihat zone], blindfolded. In the camp, they beat me on my legs, on my shoulders, on my neck and on my back. I got terrible pain. Even now I have problem chewing foods. One soldier pointed a knife close to my body as if he would push it in anytime. However, they spared me of electric shocks.

It was Warrant Officer Selim who arrested me. From what the CO said to me at the time of my release I understood that Selim had lied to the CO about my arrest. He appeared to have told him that they had arrested me because I was running away.

“Chali Mazhi” Rajjak from Chandraghona went to the camp and recommended for my release.

5. Interview of Ms Kamala Chakma, age 26, Balurghat Purbopara

I was grazing cows on the bank of river Kachalong – another villager’s cows – for Taka 100 per day.

The army came and asked me whether I saw the terrorists. I said ‘yes, I saw them’. Then they asked whether I could recognize them. I said ‘no’. Then they hit me on my waist and on my hands.

One soldier said ‘why didn’t you recognize them with such big eyes?’ and then poked my eyes with his fingers. I got terrible pain in my eyes and had problems seeing things clearly for days. Still I cannot see clearly.

Someone had left a knife nearby. The army found it and pointed close at my nose. I was crying. One soldier asked why I was crying. I said ‘why shouldn’t I; I got pain’.

I wrapped Taka 500 at one end of my Khadi (kind of scarf). It was actually a donation for our Buddhist temple. One soldier took the money away.

After the solders had gone, I went to MSF office and bought some medicines.

I have 3 children – two girls and a boy.

..... to be continued.