Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sajek torture victims demand end to repression



chtnews.com
News No. 78/2009, July 02, 2009
A group of eight torture victims at a press conference today demanded that the government take effective measures to end repression of innocent people and stop grabbing of lands belonging to the Jumma people in Sajek.

They made this demand while speaking to the media at Reporters Unity Auditorium in the morning.

The victims traveled to Dhaka from Sajek to tell how they were subjected to inhuman torture in Baghaihat zone.

Prussing Thowai Marma read out a written text on behalf of the victims.

One of the victims, Bali Kumar Chakma, 53, of MSF Para in the text said the army beat him with sticks and gave electric shocks twice in his body parts.

Kala Dhan Chakma, 52, of Gangaran village said “They (army) hit me first in the knee, and then give electricity shocks in my body.”

Narrating how he was arrested, Amar Dhan Karbari, 49, of Hogeyatoli village has it to say: “I was on my way to Hillahilly office, an NGO in Marishya, to discuss how to draw UNDP project money. When I reached Balughata at 12 noon or 1pm, the army arrested me.”

He continued: “They took me to the camp, blindfolded. They hit me on the joints of my hands and legs. As a result, my wrists and knuckles got so swollen up that I could not grasp anything with my hands.”

Sukkho Chakma, 29, of Jarulchari said he was taken to Baghaiha zone, blindfolded and tortured.

Jagot Joti Chakma said he was kicked in the abdomen and hit on the neck with the blunt side of his own machete. “One of the soldiers took away Taka 1,230 from my pocket.” he added.

Ms Kamala Chakma, 26, of Balurghat Purbopara said on 20 June she was grazing cows on the bank of river Kachalong when the army came and asked her whether she had seen any terrorist.

“When I said ‘no’, a soldier hit me in the waist and hands with a stick, and poked my eyes with his fingers. I got terrible pain in my eyes, and still I can not see clearly.” she said and added that the army took away Taka 500 from her.

Another victim Mintu Chakma, 29, of Gangaram Dore was tortured on 18 May. He said he was taking a break from work when the army came and picked him up. “I was taken to Baghaihat zone and tortured inhumanly. The army gave me electric shocks.” he added.

Ajit Chakma, 32, of the same village said he was arrested on 28 May from Nanda Kishore Chakma’s shop. “The army took me to Baghaihat zone blindfolded and tortured.” he added.

“At first, they hit me on the neck. Thereafter, they beat me relentlessly accusing me of being a terrorist. The army also gave me electric shocks.” he continued.

Land grabbing

The victims said using the murder of two settlers as a pretext the settlers occupied lands belonging to the Jumma people under protective wings of the army. According to the victims, about 15 – 20 settler families have already occupied the Bain Ghor (waiving house) of a Buddhist temple in Simanachara village, about 20 – 25 settler families have been settled on lands belonging to Mintu Chakma, Buddhi Chakma and a temple in Gangaram, and built 11 houses in the village of Balughat.

Demands

The victims put forward a four point demands. These include 1. an end to repression of innocent people in Sajek and release of innocent victims detained on charge of involvement in the murder and disappearance [of the two Bengalis]; 2. putting an end to land grabbing in Sajek and return of the lands already taken away; 3. stoppage of intimidation in the name of army patrol; dismantling army posts and rolling back of Baghaihat zone; and putting army personnel involved in the torture of innocent people on trial; 4. impartial investigation into the kidnapping and disappearance of Alkajjya and Muzibar and bringing those responsible to justice.